Finding where to stay in Mykonos is easier than you can imagine. Packed with gorgeous beaches with the clearest waters; nice narrow cobbled alleys; shops, cafés and restaurants galore and with a thriving nightlife, this beautiful island is a great holiday destination. However, it’s also the most popular island among the Cyclades and one of the most popular islands in Greece, which means careful planning is necessary in order to find a good place to stay.
Try to book anything last minute, and you will be left with expensive places only – and even budget places won’t be so budget anymore.
This post will help you decide where you should be staying in Mykonos, highlighting the nicest areas and best hotels in Mykonos, with something suitable for all budgets.
What To Consider When Deciding Where To Stay In Mykonos
Mykonos is a great island, but your experience will vary greatly depending on where you go, on what your budget is and on how you want to spend your time. When looking for a place to stay in Mykonos, ask your self the following questions:
WHAT’S YOUR SCENE? – Do you want a town that buzzes with life, or are you desperate for a more peaceful place? Towns and villages have anything you may possibly want in terms of restaurants, cafés and bars, shops and city charm. But they are more crowded and you will need to drive or use public transportation to get to the beach. Beach areas have have some nice restaurants and bars, but you will be away from the cultural life of cities and villages and won’t be able to mingle with the locals unless you drive to town.
WHAT’S YOUR IDEA OF VACATION? – Do you just want to rest, or would you rather explore? Do you want to try a different restaurant every night, or would you rather have a quiet night in and head out for a meal every now and then? Are you a party animal? Depending on that, you may need something more or less expensive and central.
WHAT’S YOUR BUDGET? – Mykonos doesn’t have to be expensive. Places with a pool and close to the beach or with views of the sea tend to be more expensive, while most budget friendly options tend to be in town, where you can find small guest houses and bed and breakfast with simple yet clean rooms.
YOU MUST BOOK IN ADVANCE – A must if you want to find a good place to stay that won’t completely blow your budget.
Where To Stay In Mykonos – Best Overall Options
Here are my favorite picks;
This wonderful hotel is set in Megali Ammos beach, and very close to Mykonos City – offering the best of both worlds. It offers private beach facilities, and it has a pool and a restaurant. Rooms are plush. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
This bed and breakfast and villas complex is located in Mykonos City and has fantastic sea views. Villas are furnished in a beautiful marine style and have a beautiful terrace and patio to hang out. There is a common pool. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
You don’t have to splurge to enjoy a comfortable room with a view in Mykonos. Makis Place is located in Tourlos and thought to be one of the best budget friendly options on the island, with spacious clean rooms with a view – some even have a balcony. Breakfast is included in the price – what else could you ask for? A pool? Yes – there’s a pool as well. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
Where To Stay In Mykonos: Best Areas And Places To Stay
Mykonos City: Best for Nightlife
Locals refer to Mykonos City as “Chora.” This is the biggest town on the island, and it’s quintessentially Greek. Picture bright white buildings with blue doors, windows and banisters; balconies adorned with colorful flowers; narrow cobbled alleys where you’ll find a plethora of shops, cafés and excellent restaurants.
Little Venice, AKA the waterfront, is a great place to admire sunset. Another must see are the windmills of Kato Mili. Chora also has interesting museums and an open air cinema, and is well served by public transportation so going to the beach and exploring the island is very easy.
This is definitely where to stay in Mykonos if you are a night owl and plan to hit the best bars and restaurants on the island.
TIP: Paradise Beach and Super Paradise Beach are two other locations that excel in terms of nightlife, with beach parties and lots of clubs, but that’s pretty much all they have to offer.
Best places to stay in Mykonos City
- HOTEL NAZOS – located in the heart of Mykonos City and built in the traditional local style. It features plain but comfortable and clean rooms, some of them with sea views. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- SOFIA’S BUNGALOWS MYKONOS – a nice bed and breakfast and villas complex. Rooms have fantastic sea views and are furnished in a beautiful marine style. There is a common pool that guests can enjoy. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- HARMONY BOUTIQUE HOTEL – close to the center and the old harbor. It features elegant rooms with incredible views; beautiful terraces and an excellent on site restaurant. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
Platys Gialos: The best of both
At just 4.5 km from Mykonos City, Platys Gialos offers the best of both worlds: you’ll find some of the best beaches in Mykonos, perfect for water sports lover who can practice kite surfing, stand up paddle boarding and kayak; but families with children will be able to enjoy its fine golden sand and clear waters. There also are plenty of good restaurants with incredible sea views and offering food that ranges from typical Greek dishes to fusion cuisine; a few good bars for evening drinks; and excellent hotels that don’t cost an arm and a leg.
It really is where to stay in Mykonos to be close to everything.
Best places to stay in Platys Gialos
- ARGO HOTEL – at just 100 meters from the beach, it features a pool, a very good restaurant, and nice rooms – some much bigger than others. Breakfast is included in the price. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- NISSAKI BOUTIQUE HOTEL – very close to the beach; it has a pool, a spa and an in-house bar for an evening drink. Rooms have incredible sea views. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- ACROGIALI HOTEL – literally on the beach. Rooms face either a beautiful garden or the sea. A fantastic breakfast is included in the price. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
Ornos: Best for families
At a mere 3.4 km from Mykonos City, this small fishing village is an absolute must-see. It has a lovely harbor and provides easy access to beautiful beaches where families with small children will be able to count on white sand and shallow, clear and typically calm waters.
The beach can get crowded in peak months, but within easy distance you’ll find Korfos, significantly less crowded – though mind you, it’s also more exposed to the wind. Apaggio, one of the best restaurants in Mykonos, is also at easy walking distance.
In Ornos, you will find plenty of shops, a nice flea market and lots of small tavernas (local eateries) and cafés, and hotels for any budget.
Best places to stay in Ornos
- BLUE OCEAN MYKONOS – a gorgeous complex of villas that can accommodate up to 8 guests, with incredible sea views. There is no pool, but you’ll have easy access to the beach. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- KENSHO BOUTIQUE HOTEL AND SUITES – a fantastic luxury hotel right by the beach. Rooms are decorated in the traditional local style; they all have a jacuzzi and some even have a private pool. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- DREAMBOX MYKONOS SUITES – fabulous modern rooms, some with sea views, other garden views, and some with a hot tub. There is a very large swimming pool and a great on site restaurant. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
Agios Ioannis: Best for couples
Mykonos is packed with places that are perfect for a romantic getaway, but Agios Ioannis is unbeatable for its sunsets. Compared to other places in Mykonos, it is quiet – so it’s where to stay in Mykonos if you are looking forward to relax away from the noise and chaos. There aren’t as many restaurants as in Chora, but you will find some good tavernas, as well as Hippie Fish – the best fish and seafood restaurant.
Agios Ioannis is well connected to Mykonos City by public transportation, and within 10 minutes you can reach Kapari Beach, a lovely small cove that never gets too crowded.
Best places to stay in Agios Ioannis
- MYKONOS GRAND HOTEL AND RESORT – a beautiful property overlooking Delos Island. You’ll have a spa, a fitness center, a restaurant and a fabulous swimming pool. Rooms are large – some have sea views, whereas some have a sharing pool or a hot tub. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- ANAX RESORT AND SPA – very close to the beach. It has comfortable room, a nice swimming pool, hot tubs and an excellent on site restaurant. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- LITHOS BY SPYROS AND FLORA – it has a nice outdoor pool and a bar for your evening drink. Rooms are spacious and comfortable. It’s very budget friendly. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
Psarou: A gorgeous beach
Psarou is one of the best beaches in Mykonos and is perfect for families as well as couples who can both count on a few restaurants and on good public transportation to Mykonos City. There also are some very good hotels.
Best places to stay in Psarou
- KENSHO PSAROU – a wonderful hotel right by the beach, with a great swimming pool, a spa and fitness center and a bar. The beautiful rooms count on either an external hot tub or a plunge pool. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- MINA STUDIOS – it has both rooms and small apartments, all nicely furnished and with all the comforts you may need. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- ALISSACHNI MYKONOS – beautiful rooms – some of them with a hot tub, others with a private pool, and some with stunning sea views. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
ELIA – A quiet, luxury hotspot away from the crowds and where to stay in Mykonos if budget is not an issue. It’s located on the southern coast and a bit isolated, but there are a few excellent boutique hotels. The best place to stay there is Mykonian Villa Collection.
MEGALI AMMOS – This is the perfect place to stay in Mykonos if want a very quiet area, yet close to Chora. It’s at a mere 500 meters from Mykonos City and the mills. As it’s a bit less popular, it’s easier to find good last-minute deals. The best place to stay there is Mykonos Bay Resort And Villas.
AGIOS STEFANOS – Perhaps this isn’t the best beach on the island, but it’s protected from the wind so it is safe to swim. It’s at easy distance from the harbor and from the center of Mykonos City; there are a few restaurants, the sunset views are gorgeous and you can even easily reach Delos. The best place to stay there is Mykonos Princess Hotel.
Final Considerations On Where To Stay In Mykonos
My favorite area to stay on the island is Mykonos City. I love staying in a place where life is thriving; where there are plenty of hotels and guest houses to choose from; restaurants, bars and cafés and the famous Greek tavernas on the waterfront. This is where most shops are located, with nice little boutiques, art galleries and even souvenir shops.
Keep in mind that public transportation in Mykonos works very well during the day, and it’s extremely easy to reach the beaches and then at the end of the day get back to town to shower and get prepared for a night out. However, if you’d rather move around independently, a car may be a good idea. You can get a quote for car rental here.
Make sure to check out my other posts about Greece:
Looking for more ideas for your holidays in the Mediterranean? Make sure to check my posts about Sardinia:
- An Excellent Guide To The Best Beaches In Sardinia
- A Local’s Guide To The Things To Do In Sardinia
- The Best Places In Sardinia To Discover Its History, Culture And Traditions
- A Guide To The Beaches In Cagliari And Its Surroundings
- A Local’s Guide To The Things To Do In Cagliari