Finding good accommodation in Knysna is easy. The city has a great selection of places to stay, scattered around town, for any taste, budget and need. You can be sure that you’ll find something for you, so that you can make the most of your time on this beautiful spot along the Garden Route – thought to be one of the best locations for a spring trip.
Picking The Right Accommodation In Knysna
Knysna is small and safe, so no matter where you are, you can safely walk around. However, there is basically no public transportation, so unless you have a car, you want to pick places to stay in Knysna that are walking distance from restaurants, bars and shops.
The vast majority of accommodation in Knysna caters on the luxury end, but there are some good options for budget travelers. You’ll have to compromise on the views, but you’ll still have a good place to stay at the end of the day.
Another option is self catering apartments, holiday homes and villas. They seem expensive at first sight, but especially villas can be shared by large groups of people and end up being great value for money.
Map Of Places To Stay In Knysna
The map below allows you to compare hotels and Airbnbs in Knysna. You can click to enlarge it and find a place within your budget range and in your favorite location.
Where To Stay In Knysna: Best Overall Options
Overall Best Place To Stay
This a fabulous 5 star boutique hotel with a spa, located in the lovely Thesen Islands, in Knysna Lagoon. It used to be a power station, turned into a gorgeous hotel where all the old parts of the power station are an integral part of the architecture and decorations.
The hotel is wonderfully located: Thesen Islands are very safe, quiet and nice to walk around,;there are bars, restaurants and things to do – you can access Knysna Lagoon from there. Despite being so sophisticated, the vibe you get is incredibly friendly and easygoing. It even has its own café, for a fabulous dining experience.
Best Budget Friendly Option
This is the best place to stay in Knysna for travelers on a budget, who can count on comfortable, spacious and clean dorms as well as private rooms. It’s located in the center of Knysna, so you are close to all the action and have easy access to restaurants and bars.
The Most Beautiful Accommodation In Knysna By Location
Knysna Heights – For incredible views
To be fair, you’ll get incredible views of Knysna pretty much wherever you stay. But the stunning views are the main feature of Knysna Heights and what should draw you there. All the boutique hotels on this side of town have rooms with views. The only downside is that it’s not the most convenient place to reach, so you’ll need a car any time you want to get out.
Rent a car if you stay in this part of town. The road signs are quite good, but having a GPS navigator helps.
This is a selection of places to stay in Knysna Heights:
- Overmeer Guesthouse has breathtaking views of the lagoon and Knysna Heads from both the rooms and the dining area. Rooms are spacious, comfortable and equipped with anything you may need. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Protea 11 is the perfect choice if you want a comfortable, stylish yet cozy room. There is a small pool with an incredible view of the Heads and the Lagoon. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Westhill Luxury Guesthouse has spacious, clean rooms and a fantastic garden. All of them overlook the Heads. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Hilltop is a fantastic holiday home with everything you need for a fabulous stay. Click here for the latest rates.
- Guinea Fowl Lodge has very spacious, beautifully decorated rooms set around a beautiful garden. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
Knysna Central – Where all the action is
If you like the idea of staying centrally located, with easy access to all the delicious restaurants, bars and beautiful shops, make sure to get a room in Knysna Central. You may not get the pretty views of other parts of town, but at least you’ll be able to drop the keys of your car and walk just about anywhere – which means you can have that extra glass of wine with dinner.
This is a selection of places to stay in Knysna Central:
- Knysna Inn is an excellent budget friendly option. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- The Rex Hotel is centrally located and perfect for solo travelers. Rooms are in modern style and very spacious. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- The Graywood Hotel is a beautiful, wooden building with nice, cozy rooms set around a good size pool. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- At The Loerie is an extremely good value for money place. Rooms are modern yet quirky, and all very spacious. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Jembjo’s Knysna Lodge and Backpackers is the best choice for backpackers. Dorms are spacious and clean. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
Thesen Islands – A charming waterfront location
The nicest part of town has little over 550 beautiful buildings set around peaceful canals (though you have to watch the tide). It’s a fairly enclosed area where it is safe to walk around at any time of day and nights. There are some upscale shops, lovely restaurants and very good bars and pubs where you can stop for a sunset drink, and some excellent places to stay.
This is a selection of places to stay in Thesen Islands:
- Turbine Hotel is a converted power station with absolutely gorgeous rooms, a café and a spa. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- TH39 Thesen Islands is a fantastic holiday home with breathtaking views of the lagoon. Click here for the latest rates.
- 8 Fairmile Point is another holiday home, with clean, spacious bright rooms overlooking the lagoon. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Thesen Island Haven is a small but cozy apartment with anything you need for a perfect stay. Click here for the latest rates.
Leisure Island – The most peaceful place to stay in Knysna
This area is incredibly scenic, located as it is right on Knysna estuary. It’s surrounded by water and from there you can have perfect views of the Heads, the Lagoon and even of Thesen Islands. It’s linked to the mainland by a causeway; an extremely quiet place, perfect if you are looking to completely disconnect from the chaos of the big cities like Cape Town or Johannesburg.
There aren’t many services here in terms of restaurants and bars, so you will definitely need a car to get to a place to eat, unless you want a self catering place.
This is a selection of places to stay in Leisure Island:
- Amanzi Island Lodge has plush, large, beautifully decorated rooms facing the lagoon. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Turning Tides Guest House is a lovely guest house run by a local family. Rooms are in classic style and face the lagoon. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Bollard Bay House is a nice bed and breakfast with spacious rooms decorated in marine style. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- The Islander Guesthouse has beautiful rooms all facing the garden. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
The Heads – For breathtaking coastal views
Knysna Heads are quite easily the most famous attraction in Knysna. Visible from any part of town, these two massive cliffs facing the Indian Ocean and separating Knysna Lagoon from it are quite a mightly sight.
The good news is that there are some fabulous places to stay at the Heads. The bed news is that unless you stay at the bottom of the hill, where there are some bars and restaurants, or you are a hiker, you’ll need a car to get anywhere else. I still think it is worth it!
This is a selection of places to stay in the Heads:
- Head Over Hills is a fantastic, luxury guest house with beautiful, comfortable and stylish rooms with the most incredible view you could be hoping for. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Number Eleven is a self catering villa. It’s not a cheap option at all, so better if you travel with a group of friends. Up to 10 people can stay here, so you can make your money worth it! Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Knysna Pearl View Guest House has beautiful rooms, all of them with a balcony, and a staircase leading to a lovely pool. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Two Angels is a guest house at the bottom of the hill. Rooms and apartments are both available. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
Brenton on Sea – For a different side of town
15 Km west of Knysna, Brenton on Sea is a lovely seaside resort from where you’ll have access to some of the most beautiful beaches along the Garden Route. It’s a small place, but a pleasant one to spend a couple of days and here you’ll find some of the best accommodation in Knysna.
This is a selection of places to stay in Brenton on Sea:
- The Cabin is a lovely small apartment and very budget friendly option, especially if you like the idea of self catering. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Brenton on the Rocks is a nice guest house with rooms of different sizes and styles. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Brenton on Sea Cottages has beautiful cottages that can be shared by group of friends, turning up as very budget friendly. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
Make sure to read my other posts:
- The Best Things To Do In Knysna
- The Best Places To Visit In South Africa
- The Best Beaches In South Africa