Finding good hotels in Cagliari is easy – even more so when you have a local telling you where to stay! The capital of Sardinia is packed with good accommodation options, and even though there aren’t many big hotels, there are plenty of smaller, cozy and stylish boutique hotels, and excellent places to stay for any interest and budget.
Picking The Right Hotels In Cagliari
By now you should know that I grew up in Cagliari. Even though I have lived overseas for ten years, and even now that I am often on the move, this is where my heart is and where I belong. I love wandering the streets, getting lost in the alleys, hiking up the hills, relaxing at the beach. Cagliari simply is a wonderful yet often underrated city.
Read more about Cagliari in my post “A Local’s Guide To The Things To Do In Cagliari.”
I have my own small yet sweet place in town, which I share with my beloved cats, but whenever family and friends are visiting and I can’t host them here, I have to search for good hotels in Cagliari to suit their needs and budgets. I have even slept in a few at times, during local work trips (I know, it’s a bit weird to sleep in a hotel when you have your own place to stay).
Anyways, the good news is that whenever people ask me where to stay in Cagliari, I know exactly where to point them to.
In this post, I highlight the nicest hotels in Cagliari, dividing them by areas and interest, and selecting a few for any budget. I have selected the 4 main historical districts, and an outside one. The 4 historical districts correspond to the city center, and they are pleasant places to walk around, and all connected one to the other. The other district is not in the city center, but it’s a beautiful part of town with easy access to natural attractions.
Continue reading to find the best of Cagliari accommodation.
The Nicest Hotels In Cagliari According To Neighborhood And Interests
Cagliari hotels – overall best picks
Some of my favorite hotels in Cagliari are actually not in the 4 historical districts, or by the beach. They are centrally located and walking distance from all the main attractions and from good restaurants. Some of them are perfect for business travelers, others for couples looking for a romantic getaway, and some for travelers on a budget.
These are my picks for overall nicest hotels in Cagliari:
- T Hotel is centrally located, by the Teatro Lirico and in front of Parco della Musica, a lovely small park. It has nice, spacious rooms. Its main perks are a fantastic spa and a lounge bar that makes fabulous cocktails. The reception area often hosts art exhibits. The common areas, including the spa and the lounge bar, are accessible to people who aren’t staying at the hotel – so it often happens that locals also hang out there. It’s perfect for business travelers. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Villa Fanny is close to the University of Cagliari and to attractions such as the Roman Amphitheater and the Botanical Garden. It’s within 10 minutes walk from the heart of Cagliari where you’ll find restaurants, bars and other attractions. This is one of the nicest hotels in Cagliari in terms of style and attention to customers. All rooms are different, and all beautifully decorated. The hotel also has a fantastic gourmet restaurant. It’s perfect for couples who are looking for a romantic getaway in the city. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Hostel Marina is in the heart of Marina district, in an area that is packed with bars and restaurants. This is a good hostel, with both private rooms and dorms, and attracts a younger clientele. The hostel is very active in the social field, so it’s not uncommon to find events and art exhibits there. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
The nicest hotels in Cagliari – Castello
Perfect for: History lovers
If you like the idea of staying in a place that oozes history and mystery, look no further: Castello is where to stay in Cagliari. This is one of the most photogenic areas in the city, with which writers of the likes of D. H. Lawrence fell in love. It is packed with some of Cagliari unmissable sights such as the Cathedral, the Towers, the Palazzo Viceregio and the Archeology Museum – all fantastic places to learn more about the history of Sardinia.
Castello has a few good restaurants, some of the best bars in town, and though public transportation doesn’t reach it (the streets are too narrow for buses!) and access to non-residents’ cars is limited to a few hours each day, it is within walking distance to a few good bus stops. In Castello, you’re bound to find small guest houses, boutique hotels or good self-catering apartments. This part of the city isn’t suitable for anything larger.
TIP: If you plan to rent a car during your stay in Cagliari, make sure to check out the exact timings for entering the restricted area of Castello. As it is quite a small district, you can also opt to park the car in one of the various parking lots right by the gates and walk to your hotel.
This is a selection of good hotels in Cagliari, all located in Castello:
- L’Antica Torre is the most budget friendly option in the area. It has cozy, very clean room with nice views. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Bianca Dimora is an incredibly stylish bed and breakfast with beautifully decorated rooms. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Relais Santa Croce is located in a beautifully restored historical buildings. It features spacious, stylish and comfortable rooms. Some of the rooms have a balcony and stunning views. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Birkin has fantastic, clean and comfortable rooms. Guests appreciate the helpfulness of the staff. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Le Torri is a nice apartment, perfect if you prefer to cater for yourself. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
The nicest hotels in Cagliari – La Marina
Perfect for: Nightlife lovers and gourmets
If you are like the idea of having bars, restaurants, shops and bus stops rights at your door, La Marina is where to stay in Cagliari. This is the most multi-cultural area of town, where the residents are a fun, beautiful mix of ethnicities, languages and cultures. Here you’ll find a good pizzeria, a local trattoria, and a curry shop right on the same street.
La Marina is the heart of nightlife in Cagliari. From Piazza Yenne, a favorite hangout of the locals to the smaller alleys, there’s something for everyone. In La Marina there are some of the best restaurants in town. The area is also very photogenic, with narrow alleys, a couple of pretty churches, and lovely small squares.
Check out my post on the best photo locations in Sardinia.
Stay tuned as I will be soon publishing a post on the best restaurants in Cagliari.
Although La Marina is closed to non-residential traffic, should you decided to rent a car you can count on the big parking space right by the train station, and on all the parking lots along via Roma.
These are the nicest hotels in Cagliari, all located La Marina:
- B&B Cappuccine is a gorgeous guest house with beautifully refurbished rooms. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Birkin Marina has very large rooms decorated in a contemporary style. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Hostel Marina is a great option for travelers on a budget. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Hotel Regina Margherita is one of the most famous hotels in Cagliari, with good rooms in a convenient location. It’s perfect for business travelers. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Art Guest House is in a perfect location in the heart of La Marina. It features beautiful rooms, some larger than others, all nicely decorated. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
The nicest hotels in Cagliari – Stampace
Perfect for: History lovers, nightlife lovers and gourmets
If you like the idea of being in a well connected area, with access to bars, restaurants, and with a selection of interesting places to visit, Stampace is where to stay in Cagliari. This used to be Cagliari’s medieval working class district. It’s name comes from the saying “stai in pace” (go in peace) used to farewell those that were thrown out of Castello.
Nowadays, Stampace is a lovely area to walk around, where you can get lost in the narrow alleys with all the colorful houses, and where there is a good mix of ethnicities.
TIP: Keep in mind Stampace where Sant’Efisio parade starts, from the beautiful Sant’Efisio church, every year on May 1st – so if you are coming at that time of year, with the idea of having a vantage point to observe the parade, make sure to book well in advance.
This is a selection of good hotels in Cagliari, all located in Stampace:
- Hotel Flora is a good, modern hotel with large rooms and antique furnishing. It has its own restaurant. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- The Place Cagliari has beautiful rooms decorated in a quirky, rococo-y and at times pure lush style. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Antico Corso Charme is a beautiful bed and breakfast with stylish, beautiful rooms. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- LuxurYenne B&B has very modern, clean rooms. Some have a balcony with a view. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Cagliarifornia is located in the heart of Cagliari. It has small but clean and comfortable rooms. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
The nicest hotels in Cagliari – Villanova
Perfect for: Trendsetters
If you are looking for a quiet area, with hardly any noise, where you will still find a good selection of bars and restaurants and that is minutes walk from the main attractions, Villanova is where to stay in Cagliari.
Villanova was founded in the 13th centuries, when peasants from the villages of the countryside around Cagliari started moving here for more business opportunities. The area has several beautiful churches – my favorite one is that of San Giacomo. In recent years it’s undergone lots of renovation works and Villanova has now become one of the trendiest, prettiest areas in Cagliari.
There are some restaurants, a few good bars, and though the main shopping streets (Via Garibaldi, Via Sulis and Via Sonnino) are quite busy, the overall feeling you’ll get is that of being in a nice, quiet village where children still play ball games in the squares.
Access to non-residents’ cars to Villanova is limited, but there are a few large parking spaces right outside.
TIP: Villanova is right by Mercato di San Benedetto, Cagliari’s largest market. This is the perfect place for your grocery shopping!
This is a selection of good hotels in Cagliari, all located in Villanova:
- Acasamia is a nice apartment, small but fully equipped, in Cagliari’s main shopping street. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- BB61 Suite and Bakery is a beautiful apartment, fully equipped and incredibly comfortable. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Lucenova is a gorgeous bed and breakfast with stylish, comfortable rooms. Some have a jacuzzi. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Biddanoa is a lovely bed and breakfast in the heart of Villanova. It gives guests the feeling of being guests in someone’s home. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Apt Is Fradis is a nice, fully equipped apartment perfect for a couple. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
The nicest hotels in Cagliari – Poetto
Perfect for: Nature lovers
If you like the idea to have easy access to the beach, to a nature reserve and to some beautiful urban hikes, Poetto is where to stay in Cagliari.
Far from the city center, but within easy reach by car and even on public transportation, Poetto is the main beach in Cagliari, and a fantastic place to hang out in any season. There is a bike and running lane, plenty of small cafés and restaurants where to stop for a drink, and access to a fantastic lagoon and nature reserve where you can see pink flamingoes and many other birds. It’s no wonder this is one of the best beaches in Sardinia.
Not far from Poetto, you can access Calamosca for more beaches and for some easy yet rewarding hiking trails that will offer you incredible views of the city and of the coast.
TIP: Poetto is perfect in the summer, when all businesses in the area are open. If you plan to stay there in the winter, make sure to check whether at least some the local restaurants and bars will be open daily.
This is a selection of good hotels in Cagliari, all located in Poetto:
- La Villa del Mare is a gorgeous small hotel with marine style decoration. It’s right by the beach. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Appartamento sulla spiaggia al Poetto is a fully equipped apartment perfect for couples or families. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Hotel Nautilus has a modern yet comfortable and cozy look. Rooms have sea views. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Il Profumo del Mare is a nice bed and breakfast where all rooms are decorated in a different color. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
- Chentu Lunas is by the beach. It has nice, clean rooms and very friendly staff. Click here for the latest rates and here for reviews.
Have you found where to stay in Cagliari? What are your favorite hotels in Cagliari?
Make sure to also check my post “The Most Beautiful Beach Resorts In Sardinia.”